Tuesday, August 24, 2004

The Honorable Lady Rosemary

I take that back. This place is like Pakistan. The power went out during lecture today. No AC means no fun. Ugh. Fortunately they got it back up quickly. Better not happen again.

And yet, today I found even more reason to be happy with life. I met Lady Rosemary today. Well, "met" should be used loosely here, considering her head was covered in a plastic bag and I stared at her spinal cord all day.

If you haven't figured it out, "Lady Rosemary" is our cadaver for Gross Anatomy Lab.

Seeing her today made me realize that I've come full circle. In 1997, I was a rising senior in high school who was hesitant about entering the medical field, yet open enough to the idea that I attended the National Youth Leadership Forum on Medicine in the DC area. Ten days of speakers from various parts of the medical field, tours of hospitals and medical schools and much more. On the tour of the Maryland School of Med, we were told we would be seeing some cadavers later on. It took me a little bit to figure out what "cadavers" were, and when I did I was extremely anxious. I knew I would puke, or at least feel a bit nauseous. Then I would know for sure this wasn't for me, that I had no desire to deal with this stuff.

Well you can figure out the rest. Not only was I not nauseous, I was blown away by the experience. Totally fascinated, completely oblivious to the fact that a mere 10 minutes ago I wanted to run away from the school to avoid it all. Now I didn't make my decision right then and there, but it left such a large impression that I point to that time as when I seriously began considering medicine as a possible field for me.

Fast forward to now. Our cadaver passed away at an old age, with little fat and a kordosis of her spinal cord (aka humpback). And yet I had such respect for this person. She gave her bodily remains for the purpose of education, for scientific advancement. I can't even begin to imagine all the good she will do. If even one of the 16-20 medical students examining her body goes on to be a morally just physician, then her gift will save countless lives.

Today I feel even more excited about becoming a physician, and it's all due to the Honorable Lady Rosemary.

Sports Prediction of the Day: The Russians will never stop being sore losers at the Olympics.

Current Rankings of Songs in My Playlist
Gold: Everything But the Girl "Missing" (The remix)
Silver: Madonna "Die Another Day"
Bronze: Garbage "#1 Crush"

South Park Quote of the Day
(at Devitzen's Tolerance Camp aka the Death Camp of Tolerance)
Devitzen (who looks and sounds a lot like Hitler) addressing the children: Today we will be using ze fingerpaint. You will make a painting that shows people of different colors, races and sexual orientations getting along. Fingerpaint, FINGERPAINT!
(the kids start fingerpainting)
Devitzen (as he walks around the room): You will not make any distinction between people of different color. People with different sexual preferences. You will accept everyone. (stops at Kyle) WHAT ARE YOU FINGERPAINTING??
Kyle: Uh, a bear.
Devitzen: EIN BEAR?! Un bear has nothing to do with accepting people of different races!
Kyle: I-I didn't know what else to paint.
Devitzen: Start over! (crumples the bear) You will fingerpaint what we tell you. (Kyle starts again) Go! Faster...faster...(puts his gun at Kyle's head) ffaasssttteeerr.
Kyle (as he speeds up): Ah!
Devitzen: Faster! Are you done?! What is it, what have you done?!
Kyle: People of all colors and creeds holding hands beneath a rainbow!
Devitzen: Good! That wasn't so bad, was it? (crumples the painting) NOW DO IT AGAIN! (resumes walking around the room) Faster! Ffaasssttteeerrrr.
(the whole groups speeds up)

You just have to see this scene to truly appreciate it...

No comments: