Monday, August 23, 2004

The Brown Man and the Sea

So it's been about 10 days since I arrived here in Grenada, and what a ten days it's been. Meeting a ton of new people, making a bunch of new friends, having to study hard to keep up with the classes (alhamdullilah for my experience at Drexel, otherwise I'd be in tears every night).

My overall impression of the country is that it's like Pakistan, only nicer. Third world, but peaceful. The British system reigns supreme (driving on left side of the road, different power outlets, Queen Elizabeth on all the currency) but there is a large US presence on campus. Plus the US dollar is accepted at some big stores. The capital city of St. George's is bustling with activity, reminded me a lot of Karachi.

The med school consists mostly of Americans, but there are Brits and other Caribbean-ers here as well. A strong international feel. Most of the Americans are from NJ/NY (I feel like I'm at Penn all over again in that regard). And yes, there are a TON of brown people here.

The MSA here is strong. I would say there were 30-40 people at Jummah, and halal meat is readily available on the island (the Subway here serves halal poultry!).

This past weekend I signed up for like 6 clubs (at least their e-mail lists). Some I paid dues to, like the Emergency Medicine club and the Surgery Club. Some I may be paying money soon. Plus I played some hoops with some new MSA friends. Maybe I'll join the intramural league, we'll see if I can manage it.

We also had CPR class, exam tomorrow. For all of you, learn CPR. It's a good thing to know.

I'm trying to make the most of my experience, but what I ultimately need to learn so that I can truly enjoy the island is how to swim. Today I went to the black sand beach on campus. Over the weekend I went to the other campus (the Grand Anse campus, which just has dorms) and checked out the Grand Anse beach, a popular location on the island. I've never seen sand so white. Scuba diving is another popular activity. Just so much to do here.

And that's what sets this island apart from a place like Pakistan. On campus I have an absolutely spectacular view of the Atlantic, but if I turn east, northeast I see lush green mountains, which is what makes up the majority of this very hilly island. The weather is mostly humid and sunny, with random downpours that last 10-15 minutes. Of course that doesn't include the tropical depression that rolled through here last Sunday (and they said the island is out of the hurricane belt).

Nice people, nice weather, a safe environment (with a lot of beautiful architecture around). And that's just the island. So far I'm happy I came here.

I'll have more on classes and school soon (tomorrow iA). And hopefully I'll get back to producing some Kashif-humor pieces in the near future. Until then, I leave you with these words:

If you have the time and money, then come visit me! Not because of me, but because this is an amazing place for a vacation.

Sports Prediction of the Day: The US won't win an Olympic gold medal in basketball until at least 2012.

Current Rankings of Songs in My Playlist
Gold: Avril Lavigne "Happy Ending"
Silver: Coldplay "The Scientist"
Bronze: Britney Spears "Everytime" (yes I know, hell is freezing over)

South Park Quote of the Day
Pharmacist: Look at that. Ritalin stocks are up 10 points.
Doctor: That's easily another 20 grand apiece
(Chef banging on door as Doc and Pharmacist cover up their cash)
Chef: Hey! Open this damn door!
Pharmacist: Can I help you?
Chef: Yes you can. What the hell are you two doing prescribing all the kids Ritalin?!
Doc: Well they've all been diagnosed with ADD, that's Attention Defi-
Chef: I know what it is. But now you got a town full of zombie children from the planet Xandor.
Doc: Huh?
Chef: All around the country you bastard doctors are giving children Ritalin. And for every one child that actually needs it, you give it to 50,000 that don't.
Doc: Hey now, don't tell us our business Mr. Chef. Why we-
Chef: You damn right I tell you your business because you two have got your heads up your asses. Thanks to you, we have children in our town who like Phil Collins.
Pharmacist: Wh-what?!
Chef: That's right, you made them so dull and boring that they're actually going to go to a Phil Collins concert!
Doc: My God, what have we done?!
Pharmacist: But if I had known, I mean...Phil Collins, my God!

No comments: