Monday, June 28, 2004

Ramblings and Snippets from the JSG

Don't you just hate it when you're on IM and are having an absolutely amazing, thoroughly enjoyable conversation, and suddenly the other person disappears and doesn't respond to your IMs? Well that's what I did to you guys (especially to Naumijaan; read his comment on my last post). Sorry to give you all a total bummer, but I figured I should cool off and let the obscenely long posts I've made so far sit for a while.

As for this post, I'm just gonna be all over the place with little paragraphs and snippets to cap off the week, as in the mold of Bill Simmons (aka My Hero). Let's see if I can keep this under 1,000 words (Ha!).

So I got a lot of beef for watching Sex and the City. Let me stress that I don't like the show (for many reasons) and I hate the character of Samantha (which is why I didn't talk about her). I was just flipping through the channels and found it. Plus, I think it's OK for any guy to watch it for one simple reason: Kristin Davis is super hot. I wish I could be her knight.

Regarding fantasy baseball: there's Obsessed, there's Dangerously Obsessed, and then there's "Can not, under any circumstances, let Shili beat me AND win the league" Obsessed. Guess which stage I'm at.

The Garden State Parkway might very well be the worst 5-lane highway in the country.

As far as sequels go, Spider Man 2 may very well be a dud. But the trailer has sucked me in, despite the fact that because of the trailers and ads I know about 95% of what's going to happen in the movie. Plus, when you take orchestral music with high-pitched women singing incomprehensible Latin words in an apocalyptic fashion and put it on a trailer, chances are you're going to get very excited. That music should be everywhere.

Say you have one of the three best players in the NBA. This man is a scoring machine who has carried your team from Day One and makes everyone around him better. But he needs help in the post and he wants it now, or else he wants out of town. Now suppose you have the choice of any entering player in the world this year. Do you pick the unproven, 18-year-old high school "power" forward who will need some time to reach his full potential, or the physical defensive specimen that just led his team to the national championship in college and will make your team instantly better? Exactly. Which is why if you're an idiot, then you can become a GM of a major sports team.

Isn't it scary that, for a lot of us, the one parent you grow up trying not to be like is the one parent you become a carbon copy of?

Sorry for sounding arrogant, but I know a lot about Bush and politics that many ordinary joes don't...and I would still strongly recommend everyone to go see Fahrenheit 9-11. It was that good.

I can view my Fall class schedule at St. George's, which has made me extremely giddy and excited. I love schedules too much, I should become some kind of planner.

Is it bad that I am reallllly interested in seeing The Notebook?

Another summer of hearing how the Yankees are going to trade for all the superstars on the block by July 31. Another summer of it NOT happening. Can we please give it a rest?

Wan and I may be the only people who see this, but Rani Mukherjee and Christine Taylor (Stiller's wife) look eerily alike (except for the skin color and hair color of course). Think about it for a second. Who's with us???

Speaking of alike, Simmons had pointed out how Natalie Portman and Keira Knightley look the same, which I suddenly realized was true. Then I find out Keira played the decoy queen Sabe to Natalie's Queen Amidala in Episode I. Now I wonder how far we can go with this. They could go down as the greatest non-twins twins ever.

Speaking of alike II, I have a set of twins in my SAT class. How in the world am I going to tell them apart?

Speaking of the SAT, I taught the first class for a course on Friday, where I mentioned I took this course as well...eight years ago. Eight years ago?! Has it really been that long? Then I thought about my Albany cousins (Sohail Salman and Sohaib) who I visited over the weekend and who stayed with us for a few months in that eventful summer eight years ago. Sohail is starting high school in the fall. Think about that. I'm starting med school, he's starting high school, cousins and friends are getting engaged, married (sometimes to each other), having kids. When we're 6-16, we want to grow up fast, for time to fly, yet it doesn't seem to go fast enough. Then when we're 18+, we want time to slow down, to enjoy life, yet it seems to go faster with every passing day. Ben's right, we always think that the grass is always greener on the other side. May we all reach the state where we don't wish to be on the other side.

(Did you really think I wouldn't try to be philosophical in a blog post?)

Sports Prediction of the Day: Fred McGriff will be the first member of the 500-HR club to not make it to the Hall of Fame (look at his career slugging percentage...it sucks).

Current Rankings of Songs in My Playlist
Gold: Aaron Lewis's cover of Pearl Jam's "Black"
Silver: Tori Amos "Tear In Your Hand"
Bronze: Coldplay "The Scientist"

South Park Quote of the Day
BHI Records Executive #1: Ah Ms. Lopez, come on in.
(takes a seat)
Jennifer Lopez: Yo make it quick, I got a video shoot at 2 and a script reading at 5.
Executive #1: Yes well, uh, Ms. Lopez, we regret to inform you that we're, uh, dropping you from the label.
Lopez: WHAT?! Oh no you didn't!
Executive #2: We want to thank you for all of your hard work and "talent".
Lopez: You can't drop me! I'm Jennifer Lopez, how can you drop me?!
Executive #1: Well a very talented younger singer has come to our attention, and the truth of the matter is her name happens to be Jennifer Lopez as well. And we really can't have two here at BHI Records.
Lopez: Who the hell is this other Jennifer Lopez?! Where is she come from?!
Executive #2: Well she lives in South Park, Colorado now but I believe she is originally from Mexico just like you.
Lopez: I don't come from no Mexico, I'm Puerto Rican!
Executive #1: Whatever, look it's nothing personal, we just think you need to move on.
Executive #3: And you're a mean-spirited bitch who spits on people who aren't rich and famous.

1 comment:

Big D-Unit, CFA said...

your entries are too long. write an executive summary.