Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Dreams Dreams Dreams

I dream about becoming a sports columnist, and always envisioned writing something on the web along the lines of my favorite columnist, Bill Simmons ("The Sports Guy"). Well, in honor of him, I present to you my blog.

This won't be a strictly sports column though because I love to talk about a lot of things (as many of you know I do). Music, movies, politics, religion, life, pop culture, pictures, my life, etc. In other words, like any other blog.

Speaking of dreams, am I neurotic for trying to plan out my future so much? I bought a copy of the New Yorker's Best Doctors annual issue in order to browse possible hospitals in the local NY/NJ area that I'd want to do my residency, when

a) I haven't begun medical school yet
b) I really don't know what specialty I want to do

Why am I such a dreamer? Right now it's NYU's neurology program, tomorrow it'll be Cornell's cardio program. I can't even begin to figure this out until at least 3 years of medical school. In 2001, I thought that in June 2004 I'd be finishing my second year at Robert Wood Johnson and have found the woman of my dreams. Today I'm so far from either of those goals that it's surprising that I still do this, that I still make these lofty dreams and don't make the necessary efforts to accomplish them, that I don't go the extra yard; or rather, not even the first yard.

Why do any of us dream? Why pursue such a futile hobby, when the majority of them are never met? Think of the goals and dreams you had a week, a month, a year ago. How much of it looks possible? For some of you, a lot of them look good, but if you're like me, most of your maniacal ideas are just that: maniacal (please tell me you're like me).

Ah but that's the beauty of life isn't it? We need to dream to be alive, to give purpose to what we do, to have something to go after. Yes this is a very common phrase, but it's not the destination that matters, it's the journey. Our lives are just a trial, something where we can never be eternally happy (that's what Heaven is for). If I didn't dream, I'd be bored out of my mind, sleeping, waking, eating, doing mundane things just because that's what I'm "supposed" to do. Instead, I find meaning in the mundane and obscure, no matter how far-fetched or how dead-on I might be. I dream about NYU in 4 years. Will I end up there? Probably not. Is that so bad? Absolutely not. As long as I can finally give it my all, and not have any regrets, then it'll be worth it to dream, no matter how much it might hurt to not quite get there (Insha'Allah though, I will). Because in the end, there's only 2 places you should ever wish to be:

1) Where you are now
2) Heaven

An old friend of mine once said, "Reach for the heavens, because if you miss and fall short, then you will shine amongst the stars." I couldn't have said it any better.

Sports Prediction of the Day: The next time Kobe Bryant plays at the Staples Center, he'll be wearing an LA Clippers uniform.

Current Rankings of Songs in My Playlist
Gold: Pearl Jam "Black"
Silver: Coldplay "The Scientist"
Bronze: Disturbed "Stupify"

South Park Quote of the Day:
Mr. Garrison: We gotta show them rich people that they aren't welcome here.
Ned: What do you mean?
Mr. Garrison: How about tonight, we sneak up to one of their houses, and right on their lawn we'll set fire to a big, lower-case "t".
Jimbo: Lower-case "t"?
Mr. Garrison: Yeah, for "Time to leave"
All: YEAH!

1 comment:

Big D-Unit, CFA said...

As the late Aaliyah Haughton said, if at first you don't succeed brush yourself off and try again.

BTW, I wanna be the first to say this, but:

OH KASH<3<3 !!!!!